Monday, February 12, 2007

Fitting into culture

I've recently noticed a convergence of commentary on how it's important for immigrants to make an effort to fit into the culture of their new home. But I find myself wondering if this really is important. After all, there's nowhere nearly as much emphasis on making people who were born in the geographical area in question fit into the culture. I can think of cases where, yes, certain cultural values could cause a major clash. But I can think of many more examples where if the behaviour in question were being done by someone who's ethnically or culturally unmarked, it would be considered at most an eccentricity.

Many of my personal values are completely different from prevailing societal values. There may well be no one else in the world who shares my exact same set of values. From my idea of what constitutes respectful behaviour to my classification of sex acts, from my rituals surrounding charitable donations to my reasoning behind my position on abortion, from what I would do if I won the lottery to what I would do if I lost my job, I'm sure at least some of these things are different from what you'd think in the same situation, and almost all of them are different from the cultural norm. But I don't hear anyone calling for me to adapt the values of the mainstream. Because I was born here? Because of the pallor of my skin? Because of my comically generic name? I can't tell you why. But it does make me think that cultural assimilation isn't really that important.

No comments: