Sunday, February 18, 2007

Brilliant Ideas That Will Never Work: your own apartment as coming-of-age ritual

In today's Toronto Star, there was an article suggesting that Canada needs a coming-of-age ritual to make youth feel like responsible and enfranchised members of adult society. (Unfortunately I can't find a link, but it's on the second-last page of the Ideas section). I don't know if I agree with this premise, but I have an idea for something that might make an effective ritual. Inspired by the Native tradition of having boys go out alone in the woods, I'm imagining everyone having to live alone in their own apartment for a certain period of time after their 18th birthday.

The apartment is a very basic studio apartment, but you have it all to yourself. No roommates, and you're not sharing a kitchen or a bathroom like in res. You don't get it for free, but perhaps it would have to be geared to income because obviously most 18-year-olds can't afford their very own apartment. You'd pay market prices for your telecommunications, and utilities would be at market rates if feasible, or geared to income if unfeasible (we don't want people ruining their credit score or having to declare bankruptcy or going without running water just because we've forced them to leave their parents' home before they were ready financially). There would also have to be some kind of assistance for students who are still in high school, because we don't want this ritual to have to make people have to drop out. The coming-of-age apartments wouldn't all be bunched together in one building, they'd be spread out across the community, so your neighbours would be a random sampling of whomever lives in your community.

Of course, there are huge feasibility problems (which is why I categorized this post under Brilliant Ideas That Will Never Work), but if it were feasible I think it would achieve a great many coming-of-age results.

Living alone is the ultimate exercise in dealing with the consequences of your actions. If you don't take out the garbage, it sits there and smells up the place. If you don't pay the phone bill, the phone gets cut off. If you make too much noise, the neighbours will complain. You get to see all the stuff your parents nagged you about come true (or not).

Living alone lets you develop your own person separate from the expectations of your family. When you live with your family, their expectations colour your every action, whether it's meeting their expectations, or defying their expectations, or trying to avoid their expectations. When I lived at home, if I wanted to go out I'd have to justify it to my parents, and if I wanted to stay in I'd have to avoid or put up with my sister's mockery. Here in my own apartment, I just come and go as I please. It's quite refreshing to go about your everyday life without having to justify your actions to anyone, and not having to justify your actions gets you away from the necessary adolescent defensiveness and ultimately leads to a more mature and adult attitude towards your life.

Living alone teaches you a lot about yourself. Think of how you set up your very first apartment. You doubtless anticipated some needs that didn't materialize, and didn't anticipate other needs that did materialize. And your second apartment was set up to reflect these needs. For example, I would never have guessed that I'd fall into the habit of gaming while watching TV, but now it's my favourite way to unwind. Conversely, I have a blender and a mixer in my kitchen, and I've never used them. I guess I anticipated doing more complicated cooking than I do, but ultimately found that it wasn't worth it since I don't have a dishwasher. I take fewer baths than I'd anticipated (no, I'm not dirty, I shower instead) but sleep in more than I'd anticipated. I eat less sugar and more salt than I thought I would. When you're all alone with complete control over your space and no one around to impress, you learn a lot about what your real preferences and priorities are, and can use that to inform your decisions.

Living alone also helps your parents and the other adults around you respect you for who you actually are. My parents weren't nearly as dismissive of my phobias when they found out that I still have panic attacks even when there's no one around to rescue me. My mother was convinced I'd change my kleenex-wasting ways and start using less kleenex once I had to buy it myself (I still don't know what is perceived as excessive about the amount of kleenex I use), but I didn't so now she has to chalk it up to "Different people do things differently." Living alone gives you a certain amount of grownup cred. You're managing, you're coping, you're dealing, so they can't really Kids Today you that much. The community also has to treat you like an adult because you're approaching them in your adult role to buy your groceries or do your banking or get your strep throat diagnosed.

Basically, living alone calls everyone's bluff. It's a real, relevant trial by fire (21st century industrialized urban version). If you make it, your elders have no choice but to give you basic adult respect. If you don't make it, you're much humbled and know exactly what you need to work on. In any case, it would make it clear that you are not spoiled or sheltered, but instead know exactly what it means to be an adult.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In any case, it would make it clear that you are not spoiled or sheltered, but instead know exactly what it means to be an adult.

Maybe there's a generation gap or country gap here or maybe it's the lack of feasibility disclaimer alluded to, but based on my own peer group as an 18-year-old (which was 25 years ago) and based on people I know who are 18 now in the USA, I think most of them would not do very well with this ritual.

I think the typical 18-year-old is just not ready to maintain his/her own apartment. I think they *are* too sheltered, spoiled, whatever, to just suddenly live as an adult.

They rely on parents, roommates, adult friends, etc., to aid their transition to the 'real world' (and this is even generally the college-age version of the 'real world,' which is usually not-quite-real itself, IMO). I have no doubt some could do this successfully, but my bet is they would be in the minority. Many, maybe even most, would crash-and-burn and I don't think it would take very long.

impudent strumpet said...

I don't know, I've just never seen anything like that. Unless there's a huge difference between 18 and 19 (we had Grade 13, so most people were still in high school at 18 and moved out at 19). Most people seem to just handle the situation when they come to it. People do make mistakes along the way, but they do figure stuff out before they crash and burn.

I've noticed that parent types seem to think that you can't handle anything you don't actually do in the parental home, but everyone seems to figure it out. People do ask their parents etc. questions when transitioning, but when parents aren't available they just figure it out through google or trial and error.

I've seen people crash and burn because they can't handle university, but I've never seen anyone crash and burn from living independently.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I know many 18- or 19-year-olds who live independently. Most of the people I know of that age are in college, so they live in a dorm, or if they live off-campus, they generally have at least one roommate to share the burden. They eat at the college cafeteria or order pizza, McDonald's, etc. Many of their daily chores are taken care of by dorm staff or spread among one or more roommates. Taking out the trash means a trip down to the end of the corridor. They have their income supplemented by their parents when things get tight and a lot of them take their laundry home at the end of the week for their mom to do. That's not independent, IMO. And if they had to do much of the above completely on their own, I suspect they would not do well.

I do see the occasional exception who does all his/her cooking and laundry, etc., lives off his/her own money. These can afford little or no social life. They can't afford trial-and-error such as buying blenders, etc., that they wind up not using. They generally struggle to make ends meet and have what I would consider a miserable existence. Maybe crash-and-burn is strong, but they aren't far away from that.

impudent strumpet said...

I didn't find having my own apartment that much harder than living in res. It just had a different set of challenges. In an apartment you have to cook, but in res you're limited by caf hours and menus. In res my commute is zero but I had to take a bus to buy groceries, in my apartment i have to take the subway to work but the grocery store is right there. In res I only had to clean the kitchen every 12th week when it was my turn, in my apartment I can leave the dishes in the sink.

(And I didn't buy my blender, I took it from a relative who was buying a new one. I have a large family, but I'm not rich :) )