Tuesday, August 03, 2004

I typically wear my retainer while I shower and go through my morning
routine, then take it out to eat breakfast. This morning I was running
late, so I didn't have time to eat breakfast. When I got on the subway, I
realized I was still wearing my retainer! Since I only wear my retainer at
home, the case was still sitting on my bathroom counter, so I didn't have
anywhere to put it away once I removed it.
This is problematic because:
1. It's uncomfortable,
2. It makes me produce a lot of excess saliva,
3. I can't eat with it in,
4. I can't speak French with it in, and
5. Having a retainer makes me look like a teenager.

So I went to the bathroom, removed and rinsed my retainer, wrapped it in
twice as many wet paper towels as necessary, then wrapped it in twice as
many dry paper towels as necessary, then wrapped it in a plastic bag, then
put it in the safest-looking pocket of my purse.

Fortunately, this worked and I got it home safely! Good thing too, it would
be horribly embarrassing to have to explain to an orthodontist that I, a
grown adult, had had a retainer disaster.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you. It’s really hard to talk with retainers on. Anyway, it’s a good thing that you were able to immediately resolve it, unlike me. Once, I had to force myself to do my presentation with my retainers on because I forgot to remove them. Everyone in the office thought I’m a guy with fake British accent, LOL! But I guess that’s a common mistake every person with retainers makes.

Ted Grimmer