Sunday, August 29, 2004

Kings of Infinite Space by James Hynes

This is a rather strange book because it is essentially a horror/zombie
movie. I've never read a zombie movie in a book before, and I really don't
think it's the best medium for this genre. However, it isn't a genre I'm
overly fond of either, so I'm not exactly qualified to comment on this.

The Body by Hanif Kureishi

A rather experimental sort of book about an older man who gets his brain
transplanted into a younger body. It is very short - only about 150 pages -
and because of that it doesn't go as deep as I'd want it to. The
protagonist basically lists what happens after he gets his new body and
hardly mentions his thoughts and feelings, as though it wasn't really
happening to him (which, I suppose, in a way it wasn't), and the book ends
just as things start getting interesting. I think this was a case of the
author writing less than he could have for fear of rambling on and on, but
it makes the book less interesting than it could have been.

No comments: