Saturday, December 05, 2009

Things They Should Invent: commission disclosure

All business should be required to post prominently, both on their website and in their stores, whether their employees get paid commission. That way we as consumers could make informed decisions.

This comes to mind as I go through the dance of buying new glasses. I've been feeling uninspired by the offerings available, and have been considering going into an optician and asking them "If you could put me in any frames, which ones would they be?" I wouldn't necessarily buy those automatically, but perhaps they might be able to match me up with something more suitable that I would have overlooked. But if they're on commission, I can't trust them to give me pure fashion advice, because they might also be trying to upsell me.

On the other hand, I always do the fashion aspect of my glasses shopping without my prescription in hand. That way, no one can possibly pressure me into buying anything and I am forced to revist my decision another day to see if I still like them. So the person who helps me with all the trying on isn't necessarily going to be the person who finalizes the sale. I'd very much like to know if they're on commission, so I can make sure the person who did all the work gets the commission.

No comments: