Friday, December 11, 2009

I am happy with the TTC today

A controversial ad under consideration for use on the TTC was being reviewed today, and the TTC's committee decided to reject it.

I am very happy with this decision.

I do not like that ad. I have so far succeeded in boycotting everywhere where I've seen the thing in question advertised (and sent them a note telling them exactly why I'm boycotting them), but obviously I can't boycott the TTC.

I wasn't expecting them to reject the ad. It encourages assholic behaviour and violates values on the more conservative end of the spectrum of generally accepted social values (probably the most conservative of the values that I do hold). The objection is emotional and visceral, not rational. Personally, what it comes down to for me is that I just want my city to be better than that. A sound and valid sentiment, but I didn't think it would be enough to lead the TTC to deliberately decline ad revenues.

However, whatever the reason, they did reject it. Props! I am very glad not to have to be ashamed of my city.

1 comment:

laura k said...

I was glad, too. It doesn't happen very often. Worth celebrating (or blogging, anyway)!