Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Slices of life

1. Last time I went to the library, I found a teensy, adorable, baby blue mitten on the ground, probably thrown by some baby in a stroller playing the "What happens when I throw things out of the stroller?" game. It was so tiny and cute I just had to pick it up off the ground and carefully place it on a nearby newspaper box. Today I went to the library again, and the mitten was still there on the newspaper box. That made me feel about three conflicting and irrational emotions at once.

2. I was at Shopper's trying to decide whether I want my eyelashes to be 70% curlier or 10x more voluminous. Meanwhile, the guy browsing the shelves next to me is doing the "Avoid eye contact so the other person doesn't notice you" thing. Which was odd, because he wasn't someone I knew at all even in passing, he was just some random stranger. Meh, whatever. I went with 10x more voluminous and continued my shopping. It wasn't until I had finished my shopping, waited in line, paid for my purchases, and was leaving the store that it occurred to me that perhaps the reason he was shy and/or trying to avoid being notice was because he was a man shopping for cosmetics.

2 comments:

laura k said...

I've seen that, too, and only realized later.

I've wondered if when Allan buys femmy things in the SDM he gives off that vibe, too, even though the items are for me.

impudent strumpet said...

Do grown men actually get weird about buying girly stuff for their partner? Before the end of high school, most of the guys in my general vicinity came to the realization that if they're seen buying girly stuff, people will assume that they have access to a woman.