Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Dear Amazon.ca: please ship by Canada Post, not UPS

I get into the elevator. I press the number for my floor. A UPS lady is standing in there for some reason, and when she notices the number I press asks me my apartment number. I tell her, and she hands me a signy thing and a package...from Amazon! "Weird that Amazon is shipping through UPS," I say as I sign the signy thing. "It's a new contract," she tells me.

Dear Amazon: Please go back to Canada Post!

Canada Post is easy and convenient. They just leave it in my mailbox. If it's too big or they need a signature, the post office is a block away. Effortless!

However, UPS can't leave stuff in my mailbox and requires a signature for every delivery. Like most people, I work during the day and am never home during UPS delivery times. Today I only just caught the lady as she was leaving, and that's because I didn't do errands after work like I normally do. So I end up having to go an hour out of my way, by bus, to the UPS depot on a remote stretch of Steeles. And on top of this already-disproportionate inconvenience, there's not much around the UPS depot (the street backs onto the back end of a field) and there aren't many eyes on the street, so I don't feel particularly safe waiting for the bus there after dark, which comes at about 4:30 pm this time of year. (This is where I'd have to wait for the bus. In comparison, when I have to wait for a bus in real life, it's usually in a place that looks more like this.)

Frankly, if they're going to ship by UPS it simply isn't worth it for me to buy from Amazon any more, which is tragic because Amazon has always been the easiest and my preferred way to buy anything that they sell. I sent them a note through their customer service thing, hoping it will get directed to the right people. (It's so hard to find an actual contact address on the Amazon.ca site!)

Update: I got an email back from Amazon saying, among other things, that they are passing my concerns on to the shipping department. If you share these concerns, I'd suggest you let Amazon know too. Wouldn't you rather have your purchases in your mailbox than at the UPS depot?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How To Make money with affiliate programs Today. Affiliate marketing is the easier and probably the most effective method to make money from the internet. It is basically, a kind of selling technique where potential buyers from your website are directed to the websites of sellers. For every click, the website owner gets a small commission.


www.onlineuniversalwork.com

Anonymous said...

finance.yahoo.com is your friend, search the Amazon market symbol (amzn) and the company profile provides Amazon.com Inc.
1200 12th Avenue South
Suite 1200
Seattle, WA 98144-2734
United State

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html]wetter youtube[/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html]deutscher wetter dienst[/url]

Anonymous said...

celebrity fashion designer anand jon alexander http://thefashionhouse.us/men-page43.html 1920 bohemian fashion 3000162

Anonymous said...

I completely agree - I just emailed Amazon.ca about this very issue. Such a pain in the ass if a UPS delivery attempt is missed.

Helder said...

I was doing a Google search for "amazon.ca ups" just now. The reason for this is to see if they actually stopped using UPS. The reason I say THAT is, I just put in an order four days ago, and it's already going to be here either this morning, or the next morning... and the ship carrier... Canada Post! Every other time I've made orders through amazon.ca it's been terrible UPS, so this was a nice surprise!

Anonymous said...

UPS sucks. They deliveerd the item in my absence to NOBODY.
They just left it in front of the front door. I came in the evening and checked. Lucky the passer by's in the busy street did not see this.

Anonymous said...

You think that's bad... it's even worse in areas far away from major cities, where UPS doesn't actually exist and so they sub-contract out all their operations. My UPS deliveries are all sub-contracted to Purolator. They never leave delivery notices, the tracking info is always a mess of vagueness and inaccuracies, and the communication between the two companies is awful. When you complain to either they just point at the other company.
I contacted Amazon and told them to stop using UPS in areas where they suck, and to offer an option to choose Canada Post. They said they would pass my feedback along to the "shipping department." I agree not being able to receive via Canada Post is a HUGE deterrent against shopping with Amazon.