Monday, March 16, 2009

Putting in a requisition a crystal ball

I want a crystal ball that will tell me whether something will go smoothly or not. I don't even need to know precisely how it will go wrong if it's going to go wrong, just whether it's going to go smoothly or go wrong.

If I walk into a situation with the assumption that it's going to go smoothly (which I don't usually do) and then it ends up going wrong, it messes me up. Introvert brain prevents me from recovering gracefully, and I get a wee bit paranoid about everything in the future until I gather enough empirical evidence to suggest that life in general will go as predicted.

But if I'm assuming a situation will go wrong, I'm carrying around a lot of stress and more often than not I psych myself out.

I just want to know ahead of time which things are going to go wrong and which things I don't have to worry about. Is that so much to ask?

No comments: