Sunday, March 22, 2009

Teach me how to use a curling iron

So I wrap my hair around and around and around the curling iron, all the way up to the scalp because I want the whole length to be curled. I hold it for the requisite 10 seconds. I squeeze the handle to get the curling iron out. The tong thingy does loosen, but the curling iron doesn't come out of my hair. It just stays there stuck. I have to unwrap it most of the way before it will come out, thus negating the curl.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get the curling iron out of my hair without completely unwrapping the curl?

2 comments:

Partisan Hobo said...

Hmm. Is your curling iron oriented vertically, or horizontally? It should point upwards, like a sword, with only the minimal amount of end stuck under the tongs. You should only need to unroll once to loosen the hair. Then when you open the tongs you can gently pull down and the curl will spiral off neatly. If your hair is even moderately naturally curly, just use mousse or gel on it when it's wet and wrap the curls around your finger instead. It'll dry curly and is way more effective.

impudent strumpet said...

Unfortunately my hair is absolutely stick straight and has never even heard of curl or volume or texture or any of that good stuff. I have to do it entirely by brute force.

I tried it vertically and that will allow it to release with two wrap-arounds instead of one, but the problem is I need like five or six wrap-arounds to get to the root.