Sunday, March 22, 2009

Possible clue in the Vitamin D & acne mystery

A while back, I started taking Vitamin D supplements and found that it significantly worsened my acne. I experimented a bit and determined that the Vitamin D was in fact the cause (or at least confirmed the correlation), then stopped taking Vitamin D.

Recently I started taking Vitamin B supplements, and my acne worsened significantly. The B is the same brand as the D - Life brand naturally sourced (i.e. the ones with the white label instead of the green label), so I theorize that it might be something about their specific non-medicinal ingredients or some other characteristic of the brand. Thing is, the only non-medicinal ingredient these two have in common is magnesium stearate.

The internet tells me magnesium stearate has no impact on acne, but then it also tells me that Vitamin B and Vitamin D are both supposed to help with acne.

I'm going to stop the B and let my skin return to normal, then I might take my findings to a pharmacist and see if they have any insight about whether another brand might not cause these side effects.

1 comment:

impudent strumpet said...

Update: Life brand melatonin (which also contains magnesium stearate as a non-medicinal ingredient) also seems to be correlating with increased acne.