Friday, September 28, 2007

The real problem with Britney Spears at the MTV awards

I know this is old news, but I'm just really surprised that no one has mentioned it yet, so I'm bringing it up myself.

A bunch of people got all judgey on Britney Spears for her how she looked at the MTV awards. (I'm not talking about her performance here, just her appearance.) Then a bunch of other people jumped down their throats for criticizing a woman who has had two babies in the past 2-3 (?) years for having a less than perfectly flat tummy. I once again saw this mentioned in passing, and I still haven't seen anyone bring up the real problem.

The real problem is that her costume was poorly designed and unflattering. Any decent costume designer/stylist should have been able to make her look better.

If the top of her bottoms was about halfway between where it was on that costume and her navel, and the legs were more high-cut rather than straight across, she would have looked far better. If she were dressed the same as her backup dancers, she would have looked great. But the costume she was wearing was not flattering to her body, which is a failure on the part of whomever was dressing her. I can look far better than that using what's in my own closet, and I've probably got 20 lbs. on her and no aesthetic talent. Professionals should be able to do even better than I can.

2 comments:

BadTux said...

The question is, did Brittney over-ride the professionals because she "knew" she would look good in that outfit?

impudent strumpet said...

I assume a professional was involved because that's not the kind of outfit you have just sitting around. Someone had to have custom-made it at some point.