Monday, August 13, 2007

Prayer in school

The Toronto Star asks if students should be required to recite the lord's prayer in public schools. (I have no idea why they're asking this and can't seem to find the associated news story.)

We actually did say the lord's prayer when I was in school, up to about grade 3. This was a source of a great moral dilemma for me. You see, I was raised Catholic (which I'm capitalizing only because it changes the meaning if you don't) but I went to public school because my mother's experience as a teacher in our local Catholic board led her to decide that she didn't want her kids going to school in that environment. (To answer the inevitable question, going to public school isn't what drove me away from the church - it was my experience with other Catholics and with the church's teachings themselves.)

Thing is, in the Catholic church, the our father ends with the line "Deliver us from evil." The version we had to say in school had more lines after that: "For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, forever and ever, amen." (Here's a theological explanation of why from a Catholic perspective, but I didn't have access to that information at the time.)

Now I knew that, to be good, I had to do what my teachers told me to in school. And my teachers in school were telling me to recite the lord's prayer complete with those last few lines. And I knew that if I didn't do what my teachers told me, I'd go to hell for being bad. But I also knew that, to be good, I had to do what the church told me. And the church told me stop at "deliver us from evil." And I knew that if I didn't do what the church told me, I'd go to hell for being bad.

So there I was, a good, virtuous child who wanted very much to do the right thing, (seriously, this is actually what I was like at that age) utterly convinced that I was automatically going to burn in hell for all time because the prayer script my school gave me varied slightly from the prayer script my church gave me. I was between the ages of 4 and 8 at the time.

And the thing is, I was just coming from a different sect of the same religion! All this distress was being caused by a slight variance in how to articulate the exact same sentiment! Imagine the kind of confusion and cognitive dissonance it would cause for students from religions with completely different deities! And remember, this includes elementary school students, who are still young enough that they genuinely want to be good by obeying the grownups around them! What on earth do they think reciting the lord's prayer will do (and why this one prayer specifically?) that it's worth putting all the students who, through no fault of their own, were born into a different religion or no religion at all in a catch-22 where they cannot possibly be good?

4 comments:

laura k said...

Good post. Your memories recall the age in my life when I also worried about being punished by god (although not burning in hell, in my case, as Jewish kids weren't taught about hell).

I cannot imagine why the Star is asking this question, but some of the answers they printed are really scary.

Why that prayer, indeed. Why any prayer. Unless they're trying to make non-Christians feel alienated, then it's a great idea.

impudent strumpet said...

So how does god punish people in Judaism if there isn't a hell? (xian-centric question, I know, but I have literally no other frame of reference for a punitive god)

laura k said...

God can punish you in the here-and-now, by singling you out for tests (trials, horrors), or not blessing you - kind of skipping over you when he's handing out the karmic goodies. Imagine god ostracizing you. That was a very scary thought for me.

PLUS you never know which it is, you have no clear sign if you're in or out. You just have to be really really good and pray pray pray, hoping you've made it to his good side.

impudent strumpet said...

That makes better sense to me than the Catholic model, although I don't know if that's saying much.

But if there's no heaven/hell, what is supposed to happen after you die?