Monday, August 06, 2007

Dreams

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that I can see the future in my dreams. My whole life, every so often I'd be in a situation and get a déjà vu from a dream. Usually it's only a moment - imagery plus train of thought - and then the dream moves on to something else in service of a greater plot. But I definitely have dream déjà vu (déjà revé?).

For example, in Grade 9, I had a dream where the answers to my Geography exam were on the blackboard, but I didn't pay attention to them because I was distracted by the emotions I was feeling at the time. Then, several weeks later, we were taking up our Geography exam in class, but I was distracted by a situation in my social life that was causing me to experience those exact same emotions. But then, an objective observer could have told you that emotional situation was forthcoming, and, while I am convinced that the exam answers in my dream were the real answers, I didn't actually see them. So that one could be explained away.

But just now, I was looking at the menu of a DVD while thinking about whether I want to attend a barbecue, and I was overcome with déjà vu. I have had a dream where I was thinking these thoughts while looking at these images.

But I'm looking at this DVD for the first time ever. I only just heard about the movie recently, and have never even seen it advertised. I'm seeing the images for the first time, and the general idea has been in my brain only a few days. Similarly, I just got the invitation to the barbecue maybe an hour ago. I did not expect to be invited to a barbecue, and I would never have guessed that the people who issued this invitation would invite me to anything. But I have definitely dreamed this moment before.

No comments: