Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The subtle joys of adulthood

Because I am a grownup
If I need to take something somewhere with me
I can carry it in a purse, or a tote bag, or a backpack,
Or a gym bag, or a suit case,
Or any other kind of luggage I own or can acquire
Instead of being told "Just stick it in a plastic bag!"

And if I do choose to put it in a plastic bag
I can go through the entire plastic bag collection picking out just the right one
Nice shape, strong, sturdy
Not too cheap looking, aesthetically pleasing
From a suitably fashionable store
Instead of being told to stop being so picky
And made to put it in a bag from Biway.

And if I do choose to use a bag from Biway
(Or the 21st-century Toronto equivalent cheap, unfashionable, much-mocked store)
I can go about my business
Secure in the knowledge
That no one will spit on me, vandalize my possessions, or sexually harrass me
For carrying my spare indoor shoes in an unfashionable plastic bag.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

**applause**
-poodle