Saturday, January 28, 2006

On TTC crowding

I commute northbound in the morning and southbound in the evening. My entire commute takes place north of Bloor. My morning commute is at the tail end of rush hour. I have to stand maybe 25% of the time, maybe less.

I don't feel overcrowded, but that does not negate the fact that other people in other places do. So it occurred to me: what if they short-turned subways? That would make my commute a little less pleasant, but we've got plenty of capacity up here, heading upstream. So what if, in the morning, every second or third northbound train short-turned at Bloor or Eglinton instead of heading all the way up to Finch. I know they did this in the past and then stopped, so perhaps there's a very good reason why, but it seems to me like something that would work.

No comments: