Monday, June 06, 2005

Brilliant Ideas that will Never Work: deal-breaker personal ads

Usually in a personal ad, people write some good things about themselves and some good things about what they want in a mate.

They should invent personal ads that take the exact opposite approach. In a deal-breaker personal ad, you list everything about yourself that you think could be an unexpected dealbreaker, and everything that would be a dealbreaker in a mate. Then when browsing the personal ads, if people find an ad where they have none of the mate-dealbreakers and they can tolerate all the dealbreakers of the people who wrote the ad, they can click through and find out more information.

The dealbreakers shouldn't be things like occupation and appearance, but rather annoying personality quirks and unshakeable convictions - things that you really cannot let slide.

For example, if I were making a deal-breaker personal ad, I might write something like:
Shy, introverted, atheist female, severely arachnophobic, doesn't want kids, doesn't drive and intends to live in the city forever. Seeking man who can kill spiders, is willing to sit up with me when I've had a panic attack, and doesn't mind that I won't kiss him until I'm in love with him. Right-wingers and people with facial hair need not apply.
Then all the annoying quirks are out of the way at the outset, so you don't have to go through all the trouble of growing attached to someone only to find that their dream home is a tiny highrise condo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok here goes...

emotional, often obnoxiously hyper, doesn't drive and doesn't want to, changes mind easily, won't let a man in my heart until I completely trust him. Seeking a man who is willing to comfort me when I am sobbing because of a dead animal on the side of the road, is ok when reservations are made somewhere and I decide I don't want to go any more, is able to deal with my energy even if it is 3:00 am.

Anonymous said...

The personal ad I felt almost tempted to reply to (it wasn't a deal-breaker, but it still sticks in my mind years later) went: "Hideously ugly Neandethal with intact brain seeks gorgeous woman to take to the ballet."