Thursday, June 09, 2005

Bellylicious?

I've noticed lately that there are quite a few girls who walk around in low-rise pants with their midriffs exposed, despite the fact that they have a bit of a belly and this fashion choice results in their exposed belly sticking out over their pants.

I rather hope this becomes fashionable, maybe even considered sexy.

Not that I want to go around exposing my belly myself (it's just more skin that I have to worry about being hair- and zit-free), but despite my best efforts and my ability to do 200 good-quality situps without breaking stride, my belly really wants to stick out and tends to bloat at the slightest provocation. It would make my life so much easier if this was considered sexy and attractive, maybe moving us more in the general direction of an goddess model of female attractiveness, like they had in ancient matriarchal societies, where extra flesh was desireable when carried in areas where it signified fertility. (Not that I want to be fertile either, but my ovaries seem to have other plans).

The mainstreaming of the concept of bootylicious did quite a bit of good for my body image. Maybe bellylicious will be next?

1 comment:

impudent strumpet said...

I don't, but I can. In grade 5, I had a word problem in math class involving someone who can do 75 situps and was working her way up to 200. I decided that sounded like a good regime and emulated it myself. So ever since the beginining of middle school, I've been able to do 200 situps. You can't tell by looking at me though.