Thursday, June 02, 2005

Statements about myself that people regularly dispute

Generally if one says something about oneself, other people will believe it. After all, who knows us better than we know ourselves? So if I say that my hair tends not to hold a curl or I don't like peas or I can't lift a certain heavy item, people will generally take me at my word. But there are a few things that people frequently do not believe. It's not just a "Don't be silly, those pants look great on you!" kind of self-esteem-boosting protest, people actually try to debate me, to convince me through some sort of logic that I'm wrong.

So here, for your amusement, is a list of frequently-contested statements about myself:

- Chocolate gives me headaches
- It generally takes me two hours to fall asleep at night
- I can translate at a professional level in only one direction and language combination, and cannot interpret consecutively at a professional level, or simultaneously at all
- I am not suited to be an engineer because I am not detail-oriented, have poor kinesthetic skills, and have no sense of aesthetic or practical design
- Both white and off-white are unflattering colours on me
- I wear a size 14
- Feces don't bother me, but vomit does
- I have no desire to work in a supervisory capacity
- I like dogs but not cats
- I hate travelling

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get this all the time, too. People making assumptions about me when they don't really know me at all (e.g. just because you work with me 5 days a week doesn't mean you know anything about me outside of the workplace).

I also hate it when people that knew me as a child assume I have the same habits, likes and dislikes now as I did when I was 10 (nevermind that they haven't even SPOKEN to me since I was 10!)

impudent strumpet said...

3. I can be detail-oriented when writing procedures, but not when doing physically tangible tasks. Whenever I wrap a gift or glue paper or stitch up a seam, it ends up sloppy-looking, and my best efforts cannot correct that.

4. No, but whenever I wear white I think "I really shouldn't be wearing this."

5. You go explain that to the pants. Go up to the size 12 pants and tell them that they need to be bigger because I shouldn't be a size 14.

8. I like babies better than cats, and you know how I feel about babies.

9. It's not so much about security as that I have absolutely everything I need and want here, so travelling anywhere means sacrificing some of the perfect convenience and freedom I've worked so hard to build up. I can think of very few places where seeing the place is worth the sacrifice.