Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Things They Should Invent: karmameter.com

I spent my childhood in catholicism and my adolescence and adulthood on the internet. As a result, I want a website to keep track of my guilt for me.

I'm always justifying my vices by my virtues. If I don't exercise one morning, I justify it by the fact that I had two salads the previous day. If I fail to take an opportunity to do something generous, I justify it by other instances of generosity. If I buy expensive shoes, I justify it by the fact that I haven't been to a movie in theatres in ages whereas some people go every week.

But I have no idea if I'm justifying things fairly. I want a website to keep track of it all for me. Like one of those weightwatchers tracker thingies. I enter my virtues and vices at the end of the day, and the site tells me how much karma I have stored up. The I can make the next day's decisions accordingly.

3 comments:

laura k said...

But you know it's all up to you, right? That there's no objective scale, no real weighing and measuring, except as you deem it?

You can decide to stop justifying altogether, or wean yourself off slowly, if you want.

impudent strumpet said...

I don't want that kind of responsibility. I want a machine to do it for me.

laura k said...

I have to think more like you. Save myself a lot of effort.