Thursday, January 01, 2009

Ebay feedback

I was just looking at my ebay feedback, and it's so effusive! People are enthusiastically extolling my virtues as a buyer and giving me A+++++++++++++++++++, as far as I can tell on the basis that I pay within 24 hours of winning. I really haven't done anything exceptional.

Not realizing that this is the convention, I've been giving non-effusive feedback. Stuff like "Item exactly as described, fast shipping, everything went perfectly smoothly" Positive feedback that would be encouraging to future buyers who may have some doubts, but not at all effusive.

Now I'm wondering if in the world of ebay, non-effusive feedback reads as negative. You know how on an evaluation, "Good" or "Satisfactory" isn't actually a good result if the scale goes higher? I wonder if I've been inadvertently doing the same thing to my ebay sellers?

3 comments:

Sarah Haendler said...

I don't think so - I think it's good for them to have both the absurd effusiveness and a rational positive feedback, because there are people who look for both. I'm looking for the latter myself, but apparently there are a lot of people who like the A with plusses only limited by the number of characters allowed. (I suspect two things about those people. A) They did not get very many A+ grades in elementary school, and B) THEY LIKE TO SHOUT ON THE INTERNET A LOT!)

impudent strumpet said...

I hope you're right. I like the rational and descriptive feedback myself, but I don't want to taint perfectly good sellers in the eyes of the A++++++++++++++ people.

laura k said...

I always gave the rational positive feedback, too. I think Sarah's right.