Friday, January 09, 2009

Things Canadian Blood Services Should Invent: don't hold clinics only at multiples of four weeks

The blood donor clinic that is most convenient for me always happens during the week of my period. I'm often not up to donating during my period because my iron levels are too low. So I have to be diligent and go to a less convenient clinic, or (more often then not) it just ends up not happening.

I see why they are doing this. You're allowed to donate blood once every 56 days, so they're holding the clinic every 56 days (i.e. 8 weeks). However, that means that it is inconvenient for me every single time.

I don't know what percentage of blood donors are women with regular or regulated periods who can't donate during their periods. I know that with the rule against donations from men who have sex with men, there are probably more female than male donors. I know women whose periods affect their iron levels are more likely to be on the Pill and therefore menstruating like clockwork (if they choose to menstruate - I don't know what percentage just take a monophasic pill every day without taking a week off to menstruate.) I don't know if there are enough of us to be significant. But I do know that if the clinic was every 9 weeks, they'd get my blood way more often.

No comments: