Saturday, April 19, 2008

A better way to legislate away anorexia

In Europe, there have recently been several attempts to make laws to stop the fashion industry from promoting an unhealthy body image.

I think I might have a better idea: standardize larger sample sizes.

Models are thin in the first place because they have to fit into the sample sizes. So why not issue an industry standard that sample sizes have to be, say, a size 10 (or whatever size the average woman in Europe is). Then there will simply be no use for a 5'10" 90 lb. model. If my understanding is correct, the EU is big on legislating industry standards (at least whenever my terminology research leads me to EU websites they're always about industry standards for something), and Europe is the world leader in fashion, so it seems appropriate.

1 comment:

laura k said...

You are onto something re sample sizes. When I wrote for teenage girls mags - the glossy kind with the high-priced ads - my editor told me they were working behind the scenes to show more normal-sized models. But the samples only came in size 0 and 2!

They have to use samples in the photo shoots, because the ads are shot way before the season, the real clothes haven't been manufactured yet.

She said it was a seamless web, that until manufacturers made larger samples sizes, there was no hope to see regular-sized models in teen mags.

I like the EU legislation - I like the awareness it creates - but your idea is so much better.

[Off to get caught up on your blog now...]