Saturday, April 07, 2007

Scholarship idea

For the past five years I've had an idea in my head for a scholarship that I'd start if I ever had the money, or perhaps that I'd will to my alma mater. It just occurred to me now that if I offered the idea up for free, someone richer than me might launch the same scholarship far sooner than I'll ever be able to. So here it is, feel free to take it. I intended it for Translation students, but feel free to use it in your own field if you prefer:

Offer a scholarship for one or more students doing an unpaid internship. The scholarship will be equal to the amount that they would be getting if they were doing a paid internship. (Or, if there's no such thing as a paid internship in your field, for a decent living wage.)

In my experience, an internship - a work placement - is the most valuable educational experience, far more valuable than classroom work. It sucks when people don't get to enjoy this opportunity because they need to spend the summer earning money instead. I hope if I ever become rich I can work to remedy this situation, and I hope that if any rich people stumble upon my blog they might be inspired to do the same.

No comments: