Friday, April 20, 2007

Emerald Movers & Storage

The moving company I ended up hiring was Emerald Movers & Storage, and I was quite happy with their work. The receptionist was very reassuring, knew who I was when I called, and was able to answer all my questions. The movers showed up on time, and were quick, efficient, strong, competent, and all business. They walked in and immediately started moving my boxes to the elevator. They wrapped up all my furniture in protective padding, and everything came out on the other side perfectly intact. Then they drove over to the new building and put everything back just as efficiently, taking all their padding and wrapping away with them. They required no supervision except for instructions on where to put stuff in the new apartment. They also behaved with complete propriety at all times. My mother was there most of the time, but at one point I was alone in an elevator with these two extremely tall and strong men, (I had to look up at them, and I don't normally have to look up at people), and I was not at all uncomfortable. The move came in under time and under estimate (although I think they overestimated the estimate for that very reason). It took a total of three hours to move my 500 square foot one-bedroom apartment a very short distance.

Now, if you're doing your research on Emerald, you might encounter a few things that could be interpreted as red flags. First, they point potential clients to HomeStars.ca where they have many positive reviews.* However, they have so many more positive reviews than any of the companies, so it really comes across as fake. I can't vouch for the accuracy or inaccuracy of these reviews, but they are consistent with my experience. (This is why I choose to review here, in an independent medium where you can see that I am, in fact, an individual.) Second, they are not a member of the Canadian Association of Movers. I asked the guy who gave me my estimate about this (he also ended up being one of the actual movers - I don't know if this is normal practice or not) and he didn't have an answer for me right away, but he did call me back the next business day with the explanation that CAM is geared more towards large moving companies and Emerald is small. Again, I cannot vouch for the accuracy or inaccuracy of this statement, but I have no reason to believe it's false, and the question was handled in a way that was consistant with perfect transparency. Thirdly, the truck they used didn't say "Emerald" on it, it was from Penske truck rental. I didn't get a chance to get a full explanation of this. I don't know whether or not it's normal practice, I did notice that they don't have any trucks on their website, but my move did go perfectly smoothly despite the fact that the truck didn't have the moving company's name on it.

Rereading this post, I just realized that, by saying that they were competent and did their job as expected, I may come across as damning them with faint praise. That is not my intention. It's just that I've heard so many horror stories about movers that I'm extremely happy that everything went smoothly. I can't say that Emerald went above and beyond for me, but it's not like they had the opportunity, because my move was extremely simple as moves go (if I had muscles and a car, I would have done it myself). As it was, nothing whatsoever went wrong, so I'm happy.

I would recommend Emerald without hesitation, and, as a youngish woman living alone, I would not be uncomfortable hiring these guys even if there couldn't be anyone else present on moving day.

*Edited to add: a couple weeks after my move, I received an email from Emerald thanking me for my business and suggesting that I review them on Homestars. So that's probably why they have so many more reviews than everyone else - because they actively point their clients there.

6 comments:

Andrew Goodman said...

Hi,

You make a good point - there are sometimes fake reviews online. Since launch, HomeStars has made a concerted effort to weed out fake reviews, using multiple methods, including IP detection, contacting random posters, etc.

No review site is perfect, but the absence of reviews, or negative reviews, would surely be more of a "red flag" than the presence of a large number of positive reviews.

Best regards,

Andrew Goodman
Chief Content Producer
HomeStars

laura k said...

Congratulations on choosing wisely, and having your choice rewarded. Well done!

When we moved from NY to Canada, it was the first time we had professional movers. It was also the first time I was ever truly happy with a move. It made such a difference. I hope to never do it any other way again.

Actually, I hope never to move again, but that would be asking too much.

impudent strumpet said...

They quoted me about $475, and I ended up paying about $400, which is their minimum charge. I never actually initiated contact with them by telephone (I prefer to do business by email), so I have no idea what their answering machine message is like. I do know that their office hours are M-F 9-5, so if you want to talk to a real person that's the best time.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

David McClean here, General Manager of Emerald Moving & Storage.

Indeed all of the reviews posted on Homestars.com for Emerald Moving are authentic. We do solicit our customers to comment on their experience with Emerald Moving specifically on HomeStars thus our potential customers can find many reviews of our services in one place.

May I be so bold as to say that the reason we are the top rated moving company on HomeStars is because Emerald Moving is the best moving company in the city!

I would also like to point out that in fact Emerald Moving is a member of the Canadian Association of Movers although at the time the original post was written we where not a member company! This can be verified by visiting the CAM web-site.

Emerald Moving does in fact have a fleet management agreement with Penske. Our New website which should be complete by the end of April 2008 will give more details about this. Every Moving Company uses a combination of Owned, Leased and rented Trucks.

Regarding the voicemail system at our office! Unfortunately, it is over extended and sometimes experiences problems. We are currently expanding and planning on upgrading our system to accommodate demand. I sincerely apologies to those who receive the engaged tone or the backup voicemail. Our office hours are 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and if at first you don’t succeed in getting though, please try again.

To prevent any false expectations and disappointments arising from the posts above I want to clarify that $400 is considerable lower than our current minimum charge. You can call our office at 416 429 7785 for more detail.

Anonymous said...

hi do you mind removing the comment I put up with my email on it ? g underscore at rogers.com ? I'm dying in spam and just trying to cleanup lose ends thanks

impudent strumpet said...

Removed.