Friday, January 12, 2007

Things Salon should invent: searchable letters

Often I read an article in Salon and I think of something fruitful to say in reply. Salon has a letters page for each article that allows you to do just that. However, sometimes by the time I get there there's already a metric shitload of letters on the letters page, and it would take forever to read them. I know there's no point in posting my letter if someone else has already brought up the point I want to make, but sometimes I just don't have time to read through dozens of other people's letters to check whether my point has been made. However, in my experience, any point that I think of will not be addressed by anyone else about 50% of the time, so it might be worth posting anyway. On the other hand, as a reader, I hate it when people post who clearly aven't read the other letters.

Salon could easily fix this problem by including a search engine for each article's letters page. If this isn't feasible, they could also give us the option of seeing all letters on one page, and letting us use our browser's serach function to find whatever we need to find.

No comments: