Saturday, July 01, 2006

The problem with poor judgement

I hate it when people who are supposed to be smart show poor judgement, because that puts me in a terribly awkward position. You see, I've always found it terribly insulting to be told the obvious, as though I were completely incapable of anticipating natural consequences. "Drive carefully!" Well golly, I never thought of that! Here I was planning to drive recklessly! "Put some ice on it!" Wow, good idea, and to think I was going to fix it by running a marathon! "Drink plenty of fluids and get a good night's sleep!" Oh really? And I always thought the solution was to stay awake and dehydrated!

Because I so dislike being told the obvious, I try my very best not to tell other people things they should already know, unless I am absolutely certain that they don't actually know for whatever reason. It does sometimes occur to me to tell people obvious things, but I try very hard to bite my tongue, as a gesture of respect. In the same vein, whenever someone who I know is smart enough to anticipate the consequences is preparing to do something for which I can see potential negative consequences, I do my very best not to nag them about these consequences, trying instead to assume that, being the intelligent person they are, they have obviously thoroughly assessed the situation and have determined it to be an acceptable risk. I do this because it is how I want other people to treat me, and I don't want to go around treating other people in a manner that I would consider disrespectful if I were treated that way.

Because of all this, I HATE it when someone who is smart and competent and should be able to anticipate and weigh consequences doesn't do so, especially when they're someone who is so smart and competent that I generally should defer to them in everyday matters. This makes me feel like I should have pointed out the consequences, even though I would have considered it insulting to do so. Then, in the future, whenever I see obvious potential consequences to their actions, I'm left wondering if I should point them out. On one hand, they have shown a track record of not being able to anticipate consequences. On the other hand, if they have already anticipated these consequences, I consider it insulting and disrespectful to point them out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a bit teehee since you seem to state a lot of "the obvious" in the few posts here I've read. I guess your reasoning is better here than in real live?

Al

impudent strumpet said...

It's more that I'm not addressing anyone in particular here. This is just a convenient medium for me to work through my thoughts, however obvious or unoriginal they may be. Since nothing I say here is intended to be informing anyone specific of anything they don't know, I don't have to worry about it being insulting in that way.

It might also be the influence of my education, which focused insanely on writing essays, and it was drilled into us that you start by stating the obvious and elaborate from there. However, it simply wouldn't do to go around having real-life conversations in the five-paragraph essay form.

Or maybe I'm just a great dirty hypocrit, I dunno.