Friday, July 14, 2006

Guardian Angels

I don't trust the Guardian Angels. I've been trying for several days to articulate why, but I'm afraid I can't get any more specific than "my instincts say so." My every instinct tells me that they are not to be trusted, that they (more the individuals than the organization) must have some ulterior motive. I've been doing research, reading all the news articles, and all I can come up with is the vagueness of their modus operandi.

1. Walk around in red outfits
2. ?????
3. Profit! Stop crime!

(Aside: I wear a lot of red and I live in a low-crime neighbourhood. Hmmm...) It seems to me that if their intentions were pure, they would be more specific about what exactly they do, how exactly they're going to stop crime.

However, this vague methodology is only part of why I don't trust them, and I can't seem to articulate the rest of it except to say that my every instinct is screaming that they are not to be trusted. If the Guardian Angels were a man sitting next to me on the subway, I would get off at the next stop and wait for the next train. If I saw them walking down the street, I would cross over to the other side. If they were walking behind me, I would duck into the next store that had security cameras. Essentially, their presence would make me feel less safe than I do now, but unfortunately I can't articulate this further except to say that it's coming from my "Gift of Fear" instincts, which have always served me well, are telling me so.

No comments: