Sunday, February 05, 2006

Things They Should Invent: Restore points for the Sims

There was a small error happening in my Sims: the helicopter (which takes one of my Sims to work) wouldn't appear. After that, none of the vehicles would appear, so one of my Sims was stuck at work and the others lost their jobs.

I used the boolprop testingcheatsenbabled cheat to see if I could fix it, and in the process of trying to do so, I accidentally deleted one of my Sims. I then needed to save and return to neighbourhood, but I wasn't sure if the deleted Sim would come back or not, so I ended up not saving.

It would have been really helpful if I could have created a restore point before each boolprop modification, so that if I really messed up the house, I could just go back and undo it. As it stands, I can only go back to my last save, which isn't helpful when you're blindly trying to fix a bug as opposed to playing normally.

If anyone got here through that particular error message, here's what I did: I did boolprop as mentioned above, and got a pop-up error message when the helicopter was supposed to come, informing me that there was an error with the helicopter and creating an error log (this didn't happen when I wasn't in boolprop). I clicked on "delete," and the helicopter didn't come, but the game continued and the other vehicles came. So the Sim that took the helicopter to work ended up losing her job, but the others got to come and go normally. It is possible that there is a better solution out there, this is just the best I could work out myself.

No comments: