Thursday, November 11, 2004

One of the strangest (as in "most foreign to me") attitudes that I've seen
among adolescents (i.e.. my younger classmates and people online) is the
thought that people are unattractive unless they are tanned. I mean
actively tanned - like it is essential to regularly spend time in a tanning
bed. I've never seen people impose that attitude on other people before.
Among people my age, I have occasionally seen someone make disparaging
comments about the pallor of their own skin, but never about other people -
everyone just seemed to accept that people come in different degrees of tan.
One of my grandmothers has this attitude (and she seems to think I'm wasting
my potential by not tanning), but I never thought I'd see it among young
people in the 21st century.


No comments: