Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Ethical dilemma: should I get a flu shot?

There aren't enough flu shots in North America. There are enough in
Ontario, somewhere, in my doctor's office or at Toronto Public Health, there
is a flu shot with my name on it. Later on in the flu season, leftover flu
shots may be donated to other jurisdictions that have a shortage, but I have
no way of knowing for certain that my flu shot will be donated if I don't
use it.

For several years didn't get a flu shot and didn't have the flu. I am not
in contact with high-risk people myself, but I am in contact with many
people who are in contact with high-risk people. The powers that be are
marketing it as being my duty to get a flu shot. If I did get the flu, it
wouldn't be too severe for me, comparatively speaking - I am healthy and
strong and could afford the time off work and school, and can plausibly
quarantine myself without too much difficulty.

So I don't absolutely need it, I am being instructed to get it, I am
entitled to get it, there are other people who need it more than me, and if
I forgo it my dose may go to someone who needs it more than me, but I don't
know that for sure.

No comments: