Sunday, March 28, 2010

Things They Should Invent: buyer-focused shipping

I get a lot of hits on this post, where I complain that Amazon.ca is now shipping with UPS instead of Canada Post. Every once in a while I look at the google results that brought people to that post, and literally all the commentary on the subject is from people who are disappointed by the change. I didn't find one single customer who thought it was an improvement.

Curious now about why they would choose UPS, I went googling for the advantages to using UPS, and found that the alleged advantages are very shipper-centric. There's no focus at all on what's convenient for the receiver. While it is the shipper who's paying UPS, the receiver is generally the customer of the shipper. Shouldn't our needs be taken into account?

I would, quite seriously, pay extra money for my online purchases to be sent by Canada Post so they will end up in my mailbox rather than an hour away at Jane & Steeles. Why can't merchants make that an option? If a courier must be used, I would totally pay extra for a service that lets me request delivery within, say, a one-hour window. Why can't they make this an option?

Someone should poll customers and find out what their shipping preferences are, then retailers should provide services that meet these preferences.

2 comments:

Sunshine0619 said...

I realize that most people like to take up the time talking with me. So i just start obliviously talking about Everything thats on my mind and only a True friend will stick around to listen, lol. But if i had to Fake the Funk, it would be Really? or Interesting... Thats Soo Neat! Great. WOW is my FAvorite! :D

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.