Saturday, March 06, 2010

Bilingualism as an expense

You sometimes here people talking about language training or bilingualism in terms of cost.

Second language training (most often French) is an academic subject. Bilingualism is a skill.

Can you think of any other academic subject or skill that people think of in terms of expense? "You want to teach our children calculus? But what will that cost?" "I don't know why all these special interest groups insist that public servants have to be computer literate. That's just a waste of taxpayers' dollars."

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against non-bilingualism - it's what keeps me in a job! (My motto: Je parle français so you don't have to!) I just find it really odd that it's thought of in terms of expense, when I can't think of anything other academic subject or skill that's thought of that way.

4 comments:

laura k said...

Is it a cover for anti-French sentiment?

Christopher said...

I don't see why everyone doesn't at least attempt to learn another language. Why would anyone be against being smarter?

impudent strumpet said...

I can't tell if it's anti-French sentiment or not, I'm in a weird position culturally and can't see clearly from where I'm standing. And the people in my life from whom I'd normally be able to get insight about weird things like this don't have the sentiment. They're just like "Yay, French, good for you!" and seem to think that as a result I have more employment prospects than I really do.

laura k said...

Re Christopher's question, because time and money are limited and one has to set priorities. I can converse in Spanish at rougly a grade 2 level. I'd love to be much better at Spanish, but how is that going to happen? Who is going to teach me or pay for me to learn or create the opportunities for practice? So it remains a theoretical wish.