Thursday, January 07, 2010

Things They Should Invent: glasses-adjusting classes

My glasses always need to be adjusted about three separate times before they'll fit me properly. I have to kind of walk away in between and spend some time sand see how they annoy me rather than being able to do it in one go. Fortunately, every optician I've ever bought glasses from offers free adjustments. Unfortunately, ever optician I've ever bought glasses from is always slightly out of my way. I've never been in a situation where the optimal pair was available in my immediate neighbourhood.

As I've blogged about before, I feel like adjusting my own glasses should be within my grasp. But I don't know how to do it and can't entirely figure it out on my own. I'd need someone to teach me. In fact, I would totally pay money for someone to teach me.

Business idea: opticians should offer glasses-adjusting classes where they teach their customers the full skill set required to adjust glasses. They could totally charge a moderate amount of money for it - I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be willing to make a one-time outlay to avoid having to go in to get my glasses adjusted for the rest of my life - which would surely be more profitable than the current model of unlimited free adjustments.

6 comments:

laura k said...

I'd like to know how, too. It would be very useful.

But you know, you can go into any optician and have your glasses adjusted. If you pass a place on your way to work, just pop in and ask. They'll do it for free.

It's a funny custom, isn't it? One of the very few services in the world that is consistently performed for free.

I've also learned that if you need an extra hole in the strap of a sandal (because the leather has stretched), any shoe repair place will make one for you, and so far in my experience, they will never accept payment.

impudent strumpet said...

That's cool, I didn't know any optician would do it. I'd feel wrong about asking them though, because for various reasons I'm not feasibly going to buy any glasses from them. If I was in a crunch I might go into the nearest store and offer to pay them for an adjustment (expecting that they may or may not refuse my payment) but I'd feel wrong doing it as a matter of course.

Shoe stores will also make holes in straps for you. I even once had a store I bought shoes from make a hole in the pair I walked in wearing (as well as the pair I bought). I can actually do it myself with an awl, but I'm clumsy about it and prefer to have it done by someone who's good at it.

laura k said...

I know, I used to feel a twinge of guilt about the optician, and now I go to the Hakim where I bought my glasses, as it's equally convenient to any other place I might pop into.

I rationalized that all opticians would have people who were not paying customers coming in for that service, and that it all evened out. Based on no evidence, of course.

I always offer to pay, too. No one has ever accepted.

Good to know about shoe stores. I wouldn't do it myself for fear of ending up like Louis Braille. (Blinding myself with an awl, not famous for inventing a tactile writing system.)

impudent strumpet said...

Ew ew ew ew ew!!!!! Okay, no more playing with awls!

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am regular visitor of this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]impstrump.blogspot.com really contains lot of useful information. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. Are you really serious about your weight?. Recent Research shows that about 70% of all USA grownups are either obese or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? You can easily lose with with little effort. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.