Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Professionally-administered personality tests

I read somewhere that you can get personality tests (Myers-Briggs etc.) professionally administered. Has anyone ever had that done? If so, does the professional administering it help you pick the most applicable answer? One problem I always have is that I'm always mentally screaming at the test "Well, both!" or "It depends on the context!" Abstract or concrete? As it happens, I like my tangibles abstract and my intangibles concrete. Are you more analytical or emotional? Well, either or both, depending on the context. I tend to get a gut feeling, analyze the fuck out of it, fret that maybe I'm missing some key point for a couple of days, and end up going with the gut feeling. But I don't consider a gut feeling out of which the fuck has not yet been analyzed to be valid. So where does that fall on a dual choice test?

It would be interesting to do these personality tests in a context where I can talk through these questions with someone. Is that what professionally-administered involves?

3 comments:

Christopher said...

I've only ever done the internet quiz ones. ERSB, some such thing like that. I can't remember.

laura k said...

Not what you're asking, but I think the ambuguity of the questions, and the interpretative issues you're talking about, speak to the general bullshit of these so-called tests.

impudent strumpet said...

I find the classifications useful, but the tests are less than useful when you can't ask someone what exactly the questions mean.