Saturday, October 03, 2009

Currently pondering

Suppose OHIP started covering 100% of the cost of glasses, including frames - whichever frames the client ends up choosing.

How would that affect the fashion aspect of the eyewear market?

Because fashion is a factor. You wear your glasses on your face, and often all the time. I'm sure the primary argument against OHIP covering 100% of the cost of frames is "But then people would get posh expensive designer frames for free!"

But would designer frames still be expensive if the status symbol factor wasn't there? Would more people buy designer frames, or would fewer people buy them since they're no longer a symbol of wealth? Given the (in my view tacky) habit of certain designers (**cough cough dolce&gabbana cough**) of putting their brand in giant letters on the arms of the frames, it seems some people value the designer name. Unless they merely tolerate the designer name to get the frames that they like best. (Personally, the big designer logo is a dealbreaker. It strikes me as hella non-U, not that I can claim to be U.) Are designer frames objectively better? (I don't know if they are, I can't afford them.) How would this affect the fashion choices of the general public? What if OHIP didn't put a limit on the number of pairs of glasses you bought?

2 comments:

laura k said...

Those big names are a dealbreaker for me too. Hakim puts giant Hs on their frames, like we want to show off we bought Hakim frames?!

Sometimes the frame I really want, that looks good on me, has a huge stupid logo and I have to put them back.

I do wonder if people value the name as much as the designers think they do. Don't most people want to buy frames that look good on them?

[And furthermore, why don't the frames I love look good on me!?]

impudent strumpet said...

Hakim?? Yick! I wonder if they've ever successfully sold a pair of those? Like at all ever?

Also, the frames that I like on the shelf never work on me either. They always make me look like a total bitch - like the kind of person who'd deny you food for your baby because you missed a blank when filling out the form.