Thursday, June 25, 2009

Umbrellas

I recently switched to a larger purse, so I bought a larger umbrella. (Don't worry, it's not one of those huge ones that takes up the whole sidewalk.) My previous umbrella folded up nice and small, but it was a bit smaller than I'd have liked when open.

Today I was walking through a sudden cloudburst and thinking that maybe I should have put my old umbrella in my purse too, then I could give it to one of these people running around with no umbrella. Yeah, it's a bit small, but it's far better than nothing.

I've also been wanting to get one of those rainbow umbrellas that were all over Pride last year, but I'm not seeing them around anywhere this year.

So these thoughts converged to come up with the following:

Find yourself a nice homophobic community. Get a bunch of rainbow umbrellas - the size that can fold up into a purse. On a rainy day, send people out on foot with one (not necessarily rainbow) umbrella to protect themselves from the rain and a few rainbow umbrellas in their purse. Then they should offer their "spare" umbrellas to random umbrellaless people, just as good samaritans.

3 comments:

laura k said...

Off-topic but generally relevant: translators deserve credit.

Good umbrella idea, too.

impudent strumpet said...

OMG! The idea of one of my translations ever being read so closely that sentences are counted is terrifying! Normally it comes out the same, but sometimes we merge two sentences or split one sentence into two if it communicates the idea more clearly.

And I have heard of clients complaining because the translation's word count is different. (French is almost always longer than English.)

laura k said...

"And I have heard of clients complaining because the translation's word count is different."

Oy.