Monday, February 25, 2008

The problem with interesting work

Right now (yes, literally right now, blah overtime) I'm working on a terribly interesting text. It's the kind of thing I want to have a massive conversation about. I want to sit down with the author with coffee and ask "But what about cases where..." and "In your research, did you ever find..." and "If I were in that position, I'd be inclined to think...but is that just a function of my own cultural background?" I want to take this text and show it the people that it concerns and ask them what they think and is the situation on the ground really like this. I want to find supporting and refuting research and anecdotal evidence.

But there's no time. I just have to get it into English and get it revised and get it to the client by deadline and then I've got a dozen other things waiting for me.

1 comment:

laura k said...

When I was a proofreader, I had the same problem. I liked work to be not completely mind-numbingly dull, but not so interesting that it made me think too much outside the frame of the work.