Friday, February 15, 2008

Things Google Should Invent: click on a building and see its Yellow Pages entry

I was searching to see where a specific address was located. Google Maps found it for me, of course, and let me see a nice satellite picture. But then I wanted to see what was near there. Was there anywhere to buy lunch? Unfortunately, Google Maps doesn't help with this. All I can see from the satellite photos is roofs of buildings surrounded by parking lots. The buildings are biggish, so they could be malls or they could be supermarkets or they could be Walmart or they could be strip malls or they could be sprawly industrial parks. I can't tell at all.

Now Google Maps does know what's inside these buildings. If I do find "Food" near "$ADDRESS" it will produce results, but these results aren't completely good. If Pizza Pizza is labelled "pizza" but not "food", my search won't turn it up.

So what I want to do instead is click on the buildings, and Google will tell me which businesses are inside them. They already have the information, I just want to get at it the other way around. You can do it Google!

No comments: