Monday, August 28, 2006

What do I do now?

Telephone: RING RING RING
Receptionist: Doctor's office
Me: Hi, I'm interested in getting the cervical cancer vaccine. I was wondering if you're doing that yet?
R: The what?
Me: The cervical cancer vaccine?
R: ...
Me: HPV vaccine?
R: ...
Me: Gardasil? It was approved by Health Canada several weeks ago and it was all over the news, and they said it would be available near the end of August and you should ask your doctor?
R: I'm sorry, I haven't heard of anything like that
Me: Ummm...okay...so do you have any idea when would be a reasonable timeframe for me to call back again and see if you have it yet?
R: I have no idea, sorry

SO WHAT DO I DO NOW???? I was totally unprepared for this! I was all prepared to be all proactive, and ask whether there's any testing required before you get the vaccine, and if so whether an internal examination is involved so I can schedule it around my period, and to find out before hand if I need to get the vaccine from the pharmacy myself so I could be a good patient and walk in there all prepared, but what do I do when the receptionist has never heard of it? Does this mean the receptionist is exceptionally ignorant, or does this mean the doctor has never heard of it either? How can I trust these people to manage my health care when they haven't heard of something that is all over the news and I need to get on a somewhat time-sensitive basis? And how can I manage my own health care when any attempt to be proactive gets derailed at the first moment of ignorance?

I have been told that I should call back and insist that she either let me speak with the doctor or speak with the doctor herself and find out for me, but how on earth do I do that politely? I did give my name the first time I called because I thought that was the correct thing to do (it isn't in my little script because I don't want to put it in my blog). So how do I call back and say "Hi, it's me again! I'm right, you're wrong, and I want to go over your head until someone agrees with me!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been told that I should call back and insist that she either let me speak with the doctor or speak with the doctor herself and find out for me, but how on earth do I do that politely?

I think that's very good advice.

I don't think there would be anything wrong about calling back and politely asking to speak to the doctor--or, if the doc is busy, asking if there might be a more convenient time to call, or for the doc to return your call. I would hope the receptionist would comply without you having to insist.

I would be appalled if a doctor neglected a patient's request to get back to her regarding a question related to health/treatment/meds/etc.

I know receptionists can be busy and doctors are important people, but they work for you, not the other way around.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
You commented on my site, so naturally my first instinct was to come take a look at yours. (I like)

Anyway, I agree with Fran - you have to be pro-active with your health. I have so many unanswered questions about my own care that I am seeking answers to this month. It is scary and unsettling to find out that the people whom you intrust your care to is "out of the loop" for lack of a better phrase to use at this time.
There is a way to politely insist that you speak to the doctor directly. If your doctor is responsible, s/he would look up this information that you have and research it further and get back to you. (That is if in fact they never heard this "news" before. I am from the States and I never heard this before, but Canada is always one step ahead of us - for reasons I can't even pretend to understand.
Anyway, let us know (your readers) how it turned out. I would be insistent - so good luck!
All my best.

Anonymous said...

sorry my link was incorrect - Elaine
If you have a way to disable that other link - I would truly appreciate it - thanks :-)