Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Smells like piano lessons

5:25 p.m. on the hottest day of my life so far. I'm sitting in my office finishing up some quality control work when one of the cleaning people comes in. This is normal for this time of day, so I pay little attention, going about my business as she goes about hers, until she walks past my cube and suddenly I smell something I haven't smelled in a good seven years: piano lessons.

The cleaning lady smells like piano lessons.

She must be wearing the same perfume as my piano teacher did.

I took piano lessons for 12 years, and never realized that my piano teacher actually wore perfume. The whole time I thought that was just what her house smelled like. I haven't seen her at all in the 21st century, but I can still instantly identify her perfume.

That makes me want to wear perfume. It would be kind of cool if, years later, random people suddenly caught a whiff of something and thought it smelled like me. Wait, that didn't come out quite right...

No comments: