Friday, July 23, 2004

Things They Should Invent:

1. Self-scanning library return drop-box. When you drop a book in, it
automatically scans it as having been returned. Then all the librarians
need to do is reshelf the books. The scanner would have to be further
inside to prevent people from sticking the edge of the book into the slot
then pulling it back out and walking off with the book, but I think it could
be done with something like a supermarket scanner. On a related note, they
should come up with a library system that lets the library track books with
their UPS barcode instead of adding a new barcode.

2. Time-sensitive "reply to" field for email. So when I send an urgent
personal email from work, I can have the "reply to" address be my work
address before 5:00, and my home address after 5:00.

No comments: