Wednesday, March 17, 2004

I had a dream that I made a still (like to brew moonshine in) inside of a table lamp. The lamp was full of water, and the bottom of the lightbulb was lined with stuff*. There was another lightbulb on a cord, and when you waved it near the lamp, the water that it passed would start to boil, and then it would jump up through the stuff* and briefly pass through the lightbulb like the top thingy in a percolater. This would somehow produce alcohol, although there was no device to remove the alcohol from the still or prevent it from being mixed with water.

The weird thing about this dream is that, as you can tell by my description, I have no idea how a still actually works or the theory of creating alcohol. But in the dream I knew all the theory of still-building and could explain in great scientific and technical terms exactly how it worked. And when I woke up from the dream, I floated around in a lucid dream for a while before awakening completely, and in the lucid dream I looked back on my still dream, perfectly aware that it had been a dream, and thought through the logic and said "Yes, that would obviously be impossible to build inside a table lamp, but the science behind how it would have produced alcohol is sound," when IRL I don't know the science!

*"stuff" being the food product or yeast or whatever it is that you put in the still to ferment or be a source of sugar or whatever. I don't know what it actually is, but I know you have to put something in there.

No comments: