Sunday, October 24, 2010

A bizarre testimonial for Bounty paper towels

It's a rainy Sunday morning. I'm just out of the shower with my hair sopping wet. I sleepwalk into the kitchen to make coffee...only to discover I'm completely out of coffee filters! Frack! Now what? I don't want to go out in the rain, I don't want to blow-dry my hair, I just want a fricking cup of coffee!

So I start googling for makeshift coffee filters, and quickly discover the general consensus is that you can use paper towels. I have paper towels!

So I take two sheets of my Bounty Select-A-Size (equal to one regular paper towel, which is what the internet tells me I should use), put it in the basket, add ground coffee, and press go.

The machine starts brewing. There's a bit more steam than usual and it smells vaguely like paper towels, but it's producing something that looks like coffee.

The brew cycle finishes, and I pour the results into the mug. It looks like coffee, it smells like coffee, and it tastes like...hella weak-ass coffee! My paper towels absorbed enough of the coffee to dilute the entire cup!

Conclusion: Bounty paper towels are absorbent enough to dilute a cup of coffee. Useful for general household cleaning, suboptimal for use as a coffee filter.

2 comments:

Christopher said...

the quicker picker upper

laura k said...

My second-favourite thing about my electric perc coffee maker is never again having to face the filterless morning.

Good to know about Bounty, tho.

I used to use recyled-paper paper towels, but I realized we were using more of them because they are so non-absorbent. One Bounty picks up the equivalent of 3 sheets of the recycled stuff.

That's where you need your cross-modality green checker, or whatever you called it. Which is better for the environment, using more of something made from recycled, or less of something not? I went with less, but I'm guessing.