Monday, November 02, 2009

Things They Should Invent: vaccine in pill form

Wouldn't it be easier and save a whole lot of time and drama if we could all just administer our own vaccine? Problem: I don't know about you, but I don't know how to administer an injection.

So what they should be working on: vaccine in pill form or some other self-administrable form.

Alternative: come up with a way to teach people self-injection as a matter of course (in school? by family doctors?)

Currently wondering: outside of mass vaccination contexts, if your doctor writes you a prescription for a particular vaccine or some other medication that has to be administered by injection, are you allowed to inject it yourself if you know how (e.g. you're a medical professional yourself or whatever?)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for all the comments (see most recent posting), but I thought I'd comment on this too. I don't know about vaccinations, but I was treated once for a blood clot and given the option of injecting one of the drugs myself rather than coming to the hospital each day to have it done. Since I worship at the altar of convenience, I opted to do it myself.

impudent strumpet said...

Did they teach you how to inject? Is it difficult? If in the future you're prescribed an injectable medication for vaccination or whatever, are you allowed to just pick it up at the pharmacy and take it home and administer it yourself?

Jay said...

It was easy to inject because I just had to jab myself, not inject it into a vein--but some people don't like doing this apparently. When my wife was on a course of fertility treatments, I was shown how to inject her as well. Keep in mind, too, that diabetics inject themselves all the time.

laura k said...

Very few vaccines can be taken orally, but some can. When I was a kid, we got the polio vaccine orally.

I wonder why some can and some can't.

Oral vaccines are liquid, they come in a vial get squirted down your throat. No pills.

Hm, we need someone to answer this.