Friday, November 06, 2009

Post your window-washing advice here

Here is my (outdoor) window-washing technique:

Washing with water and vinegar from a bucket using a sponge, working vertically. Follow each column with a squeegee, follow the squeegee with drying with paper towels.

This has worked better for me than using Windex (and, obviously, better than without a squeegee and without drying).

But it still leaves streaks, which, because I have big windows, sometimes makes it worse than if I hadn't washed my windows at all.

If you can wash windows without leaving streaks, how would you improve on my technique? (Note that I don't have access to a hose or any of the usual outdoor equipment.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best thing for washing outdoor windows is car wash detergent. Wash the windows with a sponge loaded with the suds, rinse with another clean sponge and then squeegee. Dry the remainder with a microfiber cloth. No streaks, no lint.

impudent strumpet said...

Can you give me an example of car wash detergent? (Brand name, where to buy, etc.) I've never owned a car so I don't actually know what you use to wash one.

Anonymous said...

Canadian Tire is probably best. In the auto section there will be a wall of car cleaning products (smaller in the fall/winter) - you'll see them there. Brand names like Turtle Wax or Simoniz. Any of them are okay - whatever's cheapest or on sale. The key is that they're designed to cut outdoor dirt/grease.