Monday, August 03, 2009

Teach me how to dust my bathroom

My toilet and the baseboard in my bathroom are dusty. I can't quite swiffer or vacuum the dust off because it has been wet or has been exposed to humidity.

How do I clean the dust off?

The best method I've got so far is dampening an old dishtowel and wiping the dusty areas, then rinsing the dust off the towel and repeating until the towel needs to go in the laundry. But that takes for freaking ever and puts a lot of towels in the laundry. I want better.

How do you deal with this in your own home?

Be specific, none of this "soft cloth and mild detergent" crap household advice sites post - tell me specific brand names for products and precisely what kinds of equipment you use.

9 comments:

Du said...

Use mental thread thing to clear it, I think you can buy it at Dollarama.

k. said...

I'll be watching the comments -- this has been bothering me for a long time!

impudent strumpet said...

@Du: I don't know what sort of thing you mean. Do you have brand names, or can you google up a picture?

Du said...

Je pense il s’appelle "Stainless Steel Scourer" en anglais, si tu encore besoin de un photo, je le prendrai à demain.

laura k said...

We use something like Windex or Glass Plus on paper towels.

laura k said...

Actually, not on the paper towels. We spray the thing (toilet, baseboard, etc.) first, then wipe it off w/ a paper towel.

impudent strumpet said...

@Du: Et ça n'endommage pas la porcelaine/céramique?

impudent strumpet said...

@L-girl: Thank you for the clarification, because that's something I somehow manage to always get wrong - I either spray on the surface when I should be spraying on the cloth or vice versa.

It never occurred to me to try glass cleaner on non-glass, but I'll give it a shot next time the stuff gets dusty.

penlan said...

Glass cleaner, like Windex, is an excellent cleaner & is good on many things. Great for cleaning the stove top, outside of fridge as well. I've found it to be a multi-purpose cleaner & works quickly & easily.