Tuesday, July 08, 2008

You know you're a langling when

A beauty product I bought came with an instruction leaflet in about eight languages. Of course, I looked through it looking at all the languages, but I couldn't identify them all offhand. So I got all pissed off at the thing for not indicating what the languages are.

Then I realized, normals don't need to know what all the languages are. The typical user doesn't need to know what all the languages are. They'd just locate the language they can read most easily and read that.

2 comments:

laura k said...

This is true. I sometimes like to guess what the languages are. But I only think about it for a second or two.

impudent strumpet said...

Some brilliant EU people came up with a system (warning: PDF document) for identifying languages you don't speak.

Of course, I want the instructions to tell me themselves, not to have to locate that document and go through the whole chart.