Tuesday, May 29, 2007

When boys' voices change

Bad day (Rogers sent me a bill for $200 when I was expecting a bill for $10ish, so I'm going to have to call and complain and sort stuff out and probably still end up paying more than I expected) plus I have to get up early tomorrow. So what does one do to destress? Watch Eddie Izzard of course!

So Eddie's talking about puberty, and around 2:00 he starts going into how boys' voices change.

You know, when I was that age, I never noticed guys' voices. Apparently they're very self-conscious about it, but I literally never noticed. Sometimes I'd notice when a guy I hadn't seen for a while was suddenly a baritone, but the whole process, the whole voice cracking thing? Didn't notice! Maybe it's because boys were yucky for longer for me than they are for most people, and by the time they started to be intriguing I was old enough that only post-growth-spurt boys were of interest, so I just never paid much attention to boys whose voices were changing. Maybe I was too distracted trying to manage my own body's strange secretions. Maybe I was too distracted trying to avoid being bullied. But at any rate, I never once noticed any guy's voice crack or squeak or change or anything.

No comments: