Thursday, May 24, 2007

Macroquestioning and microquestioning

I question all the Big Things in life. Do I really want to own a house? Do I really want to drive a car? Do I actually believe in this religion with which I was raised? Is finishing high school and then going to university really the right decision for me? Is working full-time really the best use of my work-life balance? Should I really be speaking English right now? Maybe I should eat pasta for breakfast instead of for dinner? All these major core assumptions get questioned.

But the problem is that I keep forgetting to question the little routine habits I fall into. For example, I turn the TV to a show I watch every week like clockwork, and find myself going "I hate this episode! I don't want to watch this!" And then it takes a while for me to realize "Hey, I don't have to do that!" Or I wake up and I want to have a coffee before my shower, but I'm all "Waah waah I don't want to have a shower yet!" instead of just having a coffee before a shower.

2 comments:

laura k said...

Questioning the big things is you creating your own, authentic life. It's what gives your life meaning, I think.

Not questioning the little things is... I don't know. Laziness? :)

laura k said...

Although little habits can be very difficult to break.